Thursday, May 8, 2008

shaking in my seat, in mexico.

The last few weeks have been rough, really rough. It's one thing to come down with a cold and be away from home, but another to get typhoid and not have a familiar face. I think that's enough to make anyone homesick. There was a point when I felt it was in my best interest to return home, and honestly, I was one click away from buying my ticket. I was stressing about about the money I had spent on doctors visits, on the medicines, the hospitals. Stressing about my stomach constantly being upset, the incessant fevers, being bed ridden and taking 12 medicines in the span of two weeks. It's been a week since I've stopped taking medicines and I think it's safe to say the typhoid is gone. I still have a lingering fear of eating, but my other choice is starving or going home, none of which I feel like doing. I've decided to continue my stay in Mexico, there are still many things I would love to see and learn. I'm seeing muchos Mexicos everyday, every single one worlds away from the other. I'm thankful that my parents taught me spanish, though when I think about it, I don't think they really had much of a choice, they only spoke spanish. Regardless, they instilled in me an appreciation for the language, for their culture. This has allowed me to communicate with people that I may not have been able to otherwise, to put myself in situtations that might be difficult for others. I'm currently in Mexico City and am completely amazed by it. 19.2 million people crammed in a valley. I had a brief conversation last night with some street vendors who make their living making posable dolls from pipe cleaners, each doll runs about 10 pesos each. We talked about what I inevitably end up talking about: Immigration. This lady has an uncle that left 30 years ago, and she's only seen him once since. "Immigration destroys families," she says. That seems to be the running theme around here. I want to meet more people like her, people who know people who have left and people who haven't had to leave. I want to understand all of this more. I think I have every opportunity to, I just need to hang in there.

No comments: