Thursday, May 1, 2008

May day, May day.

What a terrible two weeks it has been. It all started with a cold, nothing too serious. Sore throat, runny nose, a little bit of sneezing. I was prescribed a penicillin that I quickly became resistant to, so the doctor decided that I should get a few shots of a stronger antibiotic. That cured my cold, the sore throat and the runny nose, but I remained with a mild fever and a general feeling of malaise. Telling a doctor that you have a general feeling of malaise and a mild fever is pretty vague and will get you questioning looks. The answer? A stronger antibiotic. That did nothing. Three days later and my fever got worst and so did the malaise. It was finally suggested that I be given a blood and stool test. Americans tend to get either typhoid or amebiasis after about a month or two of being in the country. Lucky for me, I got them both at the same time. I was prescribed two more antibiotics. Cipro for the typhoid and metronidazole for the amebiasis. The metronidazole made me sick after 4 days of taking it, so after a sleepless night an almost panic attack, I decided to call my doctor in the morning. One of the side-effects of metronidazole is anxiety, it can have effects similar to those of a stimulant. My blood pressure is now on average about 130-90, the highest was 150-100. That's insanely high for a 26 year old male. I wish Mexico wasn't trying to kill me. I'd really like to stay here, but not at the risk of my health.

2 comments:

spencer said...

Happy Cinco de Mayo! Nice talking to you yesterday. Give my best to San Miguel, Miguel.

Meg Keys said...

Geez sir! I can't imagine you with anxiety ;) So are you all healthy yet?