Monday, July 28, 2008

Demographics

I've been back in Chicago for a a little over two months now and so far so good. I managed to get a good job, through a good friend, working for the city and teaching kids art. With all that said, money is still short. I haven't received a first check yet and the bills are pilling. Another good friend, with good intentions, informed me of a "street team," wheatpasting job. I was hestitant at first, with just cause. I'm not to fond of marketing or advertising, with most of it having a target audience. The first deterrent was the fact that the street team leaders wanted me to paste 300 posters in 5 days. Riiiiight. The second deterrent was that the job involved advertising liquor. I like liquor, but I don't necessarily want to advertise it. But the thing that did me in, the factor that broke the camels back was WHERE I would be pasting said advertisements. Here's a quote from the "informative email" I received:

"Target locations

Wild-posting locations are more prevalent in urbanized zones that are under development, going through expansion, or have a high-concentration of abandoned buildings. There are many designated boards in the targeted areas, but in some cases it helps to get innovative on how you can post in these areas."

It's pretty common knowledged that most of any citys' abandoned buildings or under-development, expansion zones tend to be located in neighborhoods of color; hispanic or black. Now, as if that wasn't enough, I was also emailed a list of 35 desired locations for pasting the liquor advertisements. These are areas where the highest level of poster-pasting was to be done: The target zones. Here's a link to the list. I believe that alcoholism in neighborhoods of blight is a huge problem, one that is greatly promoted by target marketing, all in the name of profit. Why would I want to perpetuate a problem that destroys families and generates more poverty in neighborhoods already stricken with lack of resources and opportunities? Especially if I truly believe that a better world is necessary. I could use "the profit," but mostly I feel the need to live in accordance with what which I believe to be true. I refused to the job. Pinnacle Vodka and Street Attack can go fuck themselves.

No comments: